Sunday, August 4, 2013

July 22-27


July 22, 2013

Well, I finally made it to Santa Cruz.  I got here at 5:30 this morning.  And boy is it cold here!!  It’s probably 40 degrees without the windchill factor.  I know that’s no New Hampshire winter, but considering it was almost 90 degrees when I left Rurre yesterday, that’s a big change in temperature!  I’m really glad I brought my jacket.  I almost didn’t bring it, since it was so warm in Rurre.  

I spent the day running errands, using the computer and finally, spending some time with my new missionary friends, Tanya and Arturo.  They are here from Mexico and are really great people!!  I’ve enjoyed getting to know them.  They’re planning on coming to Familia Feliz to serve in the near future.  Please keep them in your prayers.  

I must say, though, I haven’t felt this cold in a long time!  I guess I’ve gotten used to hotter weather this past month, but I was COLD today!  It this it was about 37 degrees today...and VERY windy.  The wind got up to 30 mph today...add that to the rain and it felt much colder!  Tomorrow I have to get out early, before sunrise, to catch a taxi and go into town to get my extended visa.  They say it’ll be colder tomorrow.  I’m not looking forward to that.  Thankfully, Arturo and Tanya loaned me another jacked, a scarf and gloves, so I’ll be able to bundle up better.  Gracias amigos!  :)

Well, time to turn in.  I didn’t get much sleep on the bus last night, so I’m really tired today.  I’ll talk to you all tomorrow.  God bless you!

Maranatha!



July 23, 2013

Well, I was on the side of the road, waiting for a taxi to drive by to take me into town before 6:30 this morning.  I was very thankful to God that is wasn’t raining and not quite as cold as yesterday (or perhaps it was and I just didn’t feel it underneath the TWO jackets, scarf, gloves and thermals! :) ).  I was at the mission office by 7:30 to pick up my visa paperwork.  Then, I had to head to the cell phone company headquarters to register my phone here.  If I don’t register it, I can’t use it.  That was a quick and smooth process.  Next stop, immigrations office to apply for my extended visa (Bolivian Residency).  I was told to plan on standing in line for several hours and that this would be an all day thing.  So I took my ipod loaded with hymns and sermons.  I didn’t even get a chance to pull it out!  I wasn’t there 5 minutes before they called my number!  :)  I presented the agent with my file full of almost every paper you can imagine.  He looked through it all very carefully, then handed it back and said that he couldn’t accept it.  One of the pages in a photocopy of the mission’s equivalent to our tax id number.  Well, the government has recently requested that all organizations file for an electronic number (which the mission office has done).  Ours is in process.  But he said I have to have that new document before I can apply for my residence.     :(  There’s no timeline for how long it will take for them to process it.  So that means I have to make this long trip all over again when it does come through.  And on top of that, there’s a daily fine of US$3 per day that I overstay my visa without having the other one in process (which expires tomorrow!).  :(  Not exactly what I wanted to hear today.  But it’s out of my control and in God’s Hands.  He knows what I need and will provide it at the perfect time for me according to His will.  Please add this to your prayer list though.  It doesn’t just affect me, but most of the missionaries here, plus the student missionaries that will be coming in the next couple of weeks.  We really need this paperwork to come back soon.  Thanks for your prayers!

After immigration, I went to the Adventist book store and picked up some books for the orphanage.  Then, I went to “Abastos”.  It’s this HUGE open market here in Santa Cruz...everything from fruits, vegetables, grains, meats to pots, pans, clothes, toys, electronics.  It was a neat experience.  Pack with people!  There was lots to see.  But I had my mind on one thing and one thing only....almonds!!  You can’t get them in our town and I really wanted some to have some almond milk, since I’m not a big fan of soy milk (no offense, soy milk drinkers...:) ).  Well, not only was I able to get almonds, but also brazil nuts, macadamia nuts and golden raisins!!  I felt like I had hit the lottery!  :)  I was one happy camper.  

Now I’m back at the mission office, using internet for a while.  I’m trying to download some sign language teaching material for Rebecca.  She’s the deaf orphan we have.  She can’t really communicate with anyone other than very minimally and we’d like to change that.  I’m praying that internet speed will increase so I can get it all downloaded before I leave, which will be tomorrow night.  I’m going to leave my computer here for it to continue downloading, so I’ll finish this entry up now.  Take care and God bless!

Maranatha!


July 24, 2013

Today was a very laid-back day.  I leave tonight to head back home, so I had all day to kill.  I spent most of the morning reading.  After my morning worship, I started reading a very interesting book...Understanding Daniel and The Revelation.  I read 7 chapters of that before lunch.  I’ll finish it when I get back to Rurre.  

For lunch, Tania and Arturo invited me to eat with them.  And what a treat that was!!  Not only was the company fabulous, but they made me MOLE!!!!!  :)  I haven’t had authentic Mexican mole in years, so I was thrilled!  Not only did we have mole, but also whole-grain rice, homemade tortillas, potatoes and strawberry crepes for dessert!  Who says missionaries don’t eat well?!  :)  It was very nice and I appreciate their kindness very much.  (¡¡Muchisimas gracias Tania y Arturo!!)

After lunch, we sat and talked until about 4:30.  We talked about the orphanage, the mission project there in Santa Cruz, how the Lord has worked in our lives, future plans, etc.  It was a very pleasant afternoon.  It’s always a joy to meet and talk with like-minded people, especially about spreading the Gospel.  

At 4:30, though, it was time to say good-bye to my friends and head into town.  I had to go back by the mission office and pick up my computer, then head to the bus station.  Those two errands took about 2 hours between bus changes.

I got to the bus terminal at 7:00 and bought my ticket to Trinidad.  We leave at 8:30 and should arrive in Trinidad around 5:30 tomorrow morning.  I hope I’ll be able to sleep pretty good tonight on the bus.  Tomorrow’s going to be a long day in a packed car from Trinidad to Rurre, so the rest will do me good.  Miguel - signing off!  God bless!

Maranatha!


July 25, 2013

What a LONG day!!  We did, in fact, arrive in Trinidad at 5:30 this morning.  I woke up several times in the night because the bus made several stops at other stations, as well as appeared to have some mechanical problems...but thank the Lord, we made it safely and on time to Trinidad.  As soon as I got off the bus, I went to reserve a space in the car that goes to Rurre.  To my surprise, the guy that sat next to me on the bus is also going to Rurre, so we’ll be traveling together again.  He’s a nice kid...about 18 years old I guess.  Anyway, we bought our tickets and were told the car would leave at 7:00.  So we waited...

7:00 came and we were still waiting on two passengers.  (These cars won’t leave until they are full.)  We finally pulled out about 7:40.  The car was pretty packed between the 7 of us and our luggage.  We drove 5 hours until we got to San Borja.  There, my traveling buddy and I had to change cars.  That second car would take us the last leg of the trip to Rurre.  It was set to leave at 1:00.  But guess what?!  You guessed it...had to wait on some more passengers.  :(  So we didn’t leave until 1:45.  Now, 45 minutes may not seem like a long time, but I was passed ready to be home at this point and every minute counted!  Once we were on the road, it took us a little over 4 hours to get to Rurre.  So I finally got home right before 6:00 pm.  Another 22-hour trip.  And let me tell you, I don’t know if I’ve EVER been so ready to get out of a car as I was this afternoon!!  I mean, really!  But, thank the Lord, I made it safe and sound.  As I was walking up the driveway at Familia Feliz, I wondered if the kids missed me as much as I’ve missed them this week.  

I walked to my house and didn’t see any movement anywhere.  It was kinda strange.  Then I realized that both trucks were gone.  That explained the silence...the kids and staff were out and about.  I put my stuff in my room and headed to take a shower.  A few minutes after I got out of the shower, I heard the truck pull up.  I walked outside just as Sam was heading my way.  We talked for a few minutes and he caught me up on things here.  Evidently a big cold front came through this area as well.  Sam said it got really cold.  (This area of the country doesn’t get cold at all very often.)  Evidently it was cold enough that the county cancelled all classes for the week!  (What do you think about that, Jenney??  :) ).  So the kids have had another week of vacation.  I told Warren later that I’m taking my extra week of vacation next week then!  :)

After talking with Sammy, I went to talk with Warren for a few minutes, also to catch up and to let him know the status of things with the visa situation.  Then, I headed to the dining hall for supper.  That’s when the boys saw me.  David, Juan and Armando stopped playing and ran over and almost knocked me over hugging me!  I guess they did miss me.  It felt really good.  Then, the rest of the boys saw me and took turns giving me a hug and asking how the trip went.  It feels really good to be home!

Supper was delicious and very much appreciated after traveling all day!  (Thanks Wanetta!)  After supper, while the other kids were playing, Rebecca was sitting by herself at the table.  So I went and got my laptop and put on one of the sign language videos for her.  She LOVED it!!  She watched it twice and did all of the signs.  She catches on very quickly.  Some of the other kids came over and watched for a while too, practicing some signs with her.  She wanted to watch some more, but it was time for their worship and to get ready for bed, so I told her I’d show her another one tomorrow.  I’m really glad she likes it.  I’d really like to see her able to communicate and express herself better.  

So that was my day today...now I’m laying in my bed, all bundled up (it is a bit chilly.  Nothing like in Santa Cruz, but chilly nonetheless), writing this entry.  I’m going to close out now so I can have my devotion and then head to bed.  I’m tired.

I’m very thankful to God for getting me home safely.  I’m also thankful for the place in which He has placed me to work.  Having been in the city these past few days was a nice reminder of how much I LOVE living in the country, away from the traffic and cement walls, working with kids.  Don’t get me wrong...there is definitely a large work to be done in the cities and there are very special people that undertake that mission...and I praise God for them.  But I am very happy here in the jungles of Rurrenabaque.  I really missed being able to see all of the stars this week.  I had to take some extra time tonight to take in the sight.  :)  Again, it feels so good to be home!

I pray all of you are well and that you have taken time to thank God for all of the many blessings He’s bestowed upon you today.  If not, why not take a minute right now and do it.  All to often we only go to God when we need something.  I’m trying to be more careful about thanking Him more.  My blessings outweigh my wants/needs, so my praises should outweigh my requests as well.  I want to live out Psalms 34:1 - “I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth.”  So, I leave you with this challenge...for every request you make to God, praise/thank Him for two things.  Let’s make it a point to be more appreciative to our God for His many rich blessings towards us.  One more thing I’m thankful for...the sound of a bunch of kids signing hymns to God as part of their evening worship.  It’s priceless!

Good night all!  May God bless each of you in a special way!

Maranatha!


July 26, 2013

It felt SO good to sleep in my own bed last night and awake to the local sounds here in Rurre!  Even though it got pretty cold during the night (we don’t have glass windows here...just screen, so air always flows throughout the houses), I slept like a baby.  :)  I was pretty tired after the long trip.

I had my devotion, had worship with Sam and Oriel and then went to breakfast.  After breakfast, all of the staff were talking about this problem we’re having with the visa.  Then, we had an idea.  There’s a sister mission organization based in La Paz.  We figured we’d call them and see if they had all the papers and documents necessary to request the extension and, if so, see if they’d be willing to let us use their name to solicit it.  It was worth a try!  So Sam called, since he knows the director there.  A few minutes later, Sam came with news...they have everything we need and are more than happy to help!  So, after discussing it together, it was voted that I’d go as the guinea pig to see if all works smoothly before everyone else goes.  I don’t know how I get myself into these situations!  :)  Actually, it will be a tremendous blessing if it all works out like it should.  So, I leave Rurre at noon to board the bus for the 18+ trip to La Paz.  (I’m a sucker for these long road trips I guess.)  But the good news this time is that Sam will be going with me.  He has to go to the Venezuelan Consulate in La Paz to pick up some papers he needs, so that works out nicely.  I’ll have good company and maybe the trip won’t seem so long.  I do ask that you all keep us in your prayers, that we arrive safely.  Part of the trip to La Paz goes down the “Camino de la Muerte” (Death Road).  It’s a VERY narrow, one-lane road on the side of a steep mountain.  From what I’m told and what I’ve seen online, it’s way to narrow for two cars to pass beside each other and cars and buses have gone over the side of it (hence the name).  But that’s the only way to get to La Paz.  So we are leaving ourselves in God’s Hands and know full well that He will get us there and back safely, because we have asked Him to do so.  But we thank you for joining us in this prayer.  :)  I’ll keep you posted on how that goes...

After lunch, we headed to town to buy our bus tickets and to make the arrangements for the week.  We got back just in time to make a peach cobbler for tomorrow after church (per Jodi and Warren’s request.  :) ).  Then we all had worship on the center lawn and went our separate ways for the evening.  I know I’ve said it several times already, but again, it feels really good to be home and to receive the Sabbath with my family here.  Melissa and Charlie were right there waiting for me so they could sit in my lap at worship, as has become their custom.  :)

Well, I’m off to have my worship and to head to bed.  I’m looking forward to tomorrow and all the blessings the Lord has in store for us.  Good night and God bless!

Maranatha!


July 27, 2013

I knew today was going to be full of blessings!  The Lord never lets us down.  :)  When I woke up and had my devotion and headed to breakfast, I immediately saw something strange...a car parked by the big house.  We only have two trucks, so a car here is something that you don’t see every day.  It turns out a family traveled from a very far distance to come and visit Familia Feliz.  They had heard about it for a while and wanted to come and spend a Sabbath with us.  They got in at 4:00 am!  I felt really bad for them because they slept on the hard, concrete floor because they didn’t want to wake anyone up for us to get them some mattresses.  They ate breakfast with us and we headed to church.

The girls had picked fresh flowers and palm leaves to decorate the church.  It looked really nice.  The girls also planned the Sabbath school service and every child had a part.  They did a special song as well.  It was a blessing indeed!  

Little Abigail announcing the opening song.

Sandra giving the mission story.

The girls singing special music.



Samuel (far right) and our two visitors lead out church service.


Church service went well.  Sam had the sermon and talked about the parable of the sower and the seeds.  The kids listened attentively and answered the questions he asked.  I think they really liked it.  The guests enjoyed it as well, and the two sons accompanied Samuel on the pulpit to help with the service as well.

After church, we all had lunch together (excellent meal, by the way!  I’ll try to post a pic.  Kudos to Wanetta!).  Then, I went for a walk with one of the older boys on campus.  We needed to have a talk about some issues and he needed some advice.  We walked for about an hour and a half.  I think it went really well.  He has a really good head on his shoulders and wants to make the right decisions.  I’m praying for him and ask that you add him to your prayers list as well.

We came back and got ready for evening worship on the lawn.  It was a blessing as always.  We’ve started trying to memorize two verses per week, as a group.  So we took advantage of this time to repeat them a couple of times.  Then we closed worship and spent time together talking.

Evening worship on the lawn.

Supper was next, then the kids had free time until it was time for their personal worship time, then bed.  After the kids went to bed, the staff popped popcorn and watched a movie...In Front of the Class.  It was a good movie and we all had a really good time.  

Now it’s time for bed.  Tomorrow’s going to be a long day, as I start the journey to La Paz.  Please pray for safe travels and that I can get everything done that I need to get done and get my visa extended without any problems.  I know God will come through!  :)  Thanks so much!  God bless!

P.S.  Oh!  Please pray for Janet (the girl that was found in the dumpster last year).  She is really sick.  We are going to take her to the doctor tomorrow, but she isn’t eating, has lost weight, her hands and feet are swelling, etc.  I feel so bad for her.  Please keep her in your prayers.

P.S. 2 - As promised, here are some pictures of the baby that was left here a couple of weeks ago.  She now officially has a name...Crystal Hadassah.  She’s doing really well!  





No comments:

Post a Comment