Friday, September 6, 2013

August 26 - September 6



Note:  Sorry for not updating the blog last week, but, as you will find out when you read this post, it was a very busy week and I didn't get to spend the time in town online as I normally do.  So I'm posting two weeks worth of entries today.  I pray that they will still be a blessing to those of you that read them.  :) .

Also, some readers have requested that I place a Paypal donate button on this blog so that readers can easily donate to Familia Feliz from this site.  I have added that feature on the top, right of the page, right above the "Blog Archive" section.  All funds donated will go directly to advancing the Lord's work here at the Familia Feliz orphanage.  Thank you again to EVERYONE that supports us through your financial gifts and prayers!  




August 26, 2013

So I spent another full day in town today...and I do mean FULL!  We got to the hospital this morning to take Moises breakfast and check on his status.  Found out his surgery was scheduled for 4:00 this afternoon.  We went and picked up the his meds and then I headed to the doctor to have my chest pain checked.  The doctor was extremely friendly and thorough.  He ordered a chest x-ray and told me that my lungs, heart and ribs all looked great.  No problems at all there.  He said he thinks the problem is a pulled muscle.  He prescribed some meds and cream and wants me to check back with him on Wednesday.  So that was good news.  :)

I spent the rest of the morning and early afternoon running errands, buying blankets, getting supplies from the hardware store, talking to the cell phone company, making phone calls and responding to emails.  

At 4:00, I was at the hospital again with Moises.  They took him back about 5:30.  I had to meet the pastor and other church members at the church to get ready for the evangelistic meeting tonight, so I couldn’t stay there until Moises came out of surgery, but Warren did.  I felt bad not being able to stay there, but I knew that I had a role to play in the meetings and had to leave. It was still hard though...

We finalized the last minute details at the church and then left for the army base.  We got there, set up the sound system, projector, organized the benches into rows and got the bible study papers ready for the soldiers.  The meeting started at 7:30, but the soldiers were lined up waiting to come in at 7:05!  :)  Vilissa and I were a little nervous about being the masters of ceremony.  We weren’t exactly sure what we would say, etc.  So we had a special prayer to ask the Lord to give us His Words and to speak through us, claiming the promises in the Bible.  We wanted to make sure we made the service engaging and interactive so that everyone would want to return.  We knew that of ourselves we could do nothing, so we turned to the One who could.  And, as always, He came through!  The meeting was very much a success!  God calmed our nerves and we really had a good time up front.  The soldiers were all very excited and actively participated in all parts of the service.  They loved singing and did a fabulous job, even doing the motions that go with the songs.  :)  We told them we’re going to bring the orphans to the meeting on Sabbath morning and see which groups sings better, the soldiers or the kids.  :)  So they are getting ready for their “performance.”  The best part of the night though was seeing our prayers answered before our eyes and watching as over 30 soldiers stood up and went up front to give their lives to Christ or to renew their relationship with Him!!  What an awesome experience it was!  And very humbling to be a part of it.  I cannot wait until tomorrow night’s meeting!  





After the meeting, we served refreshments to the soldiers.  They really enjoyed that and stayed in the dining hall to socialize with us.  We showed a slide show of the pictures we took with them at the Independence Day Parade, as well as other hymn videos.  They didn’t want to leave, but finally did so after being dismissed.  All of the staff met for a quick feedback session and talked about ways to better the service for tomorrow.  

It was late when we left.  I got a call from Warren just before the meeting started, letting me know that Moises came out of surgery and all went well.  Praise God!  They were able to remove all of the abscess and he was doing well.  We went by the hospital after leaving the base to check on him.  Chris spent the night there, as someone has to be with him 24/7 after surgery.  We’ll take turns doing that throughout his stay in the hospital.

It was after 11:30 when we finally made it home.  It was definitely a long day for me, but such a happy and blessed one!  Every day God shows me more and more of His Love and Presence in my life and I find myself wanting to see and experience more of it.  It feels REALLY good to be a missionary!  It’s so rewarding.  Sure, there are tough times.  There are times when you have to sacrifice a lot.  There are ups and downs.  But God is Good and Faithful and the blessings by FAR outweigh the trials.  I am so very thankful for this opportunity to serve God here! 




Please continue to pray for these meetings and for those in attendance.  I know God has a special plan and purpose for each of them and we want to let them know that.  

Thank you.  God bless!

Maranatha!


August 27, 2013

I was a quite tired this morning when the alarm clock went off at 5:30!  It wasn’t the easiest thing to get out of the bed after the late night.  But the show must go on, so I made myself get up and got the boys up and ready for school.  We had worship and headed for breakfast and then to classes.  School went well.  I’ve gotten back into the swing of things after not teaching for three weeks (due to all the traveling).  

In the early afternoon, Vilissa and I worked on the program for tonight and finalized some details for the meetings.  At 6:00, we were back on base, setting up for the night’s meeting.  Both of us felt much more comfortable being up in front of 100 people tonight.  :)  We were excited to see the enthusiasm of the soldiers.  

As is always the case when God’s cause is advancing, the enemy tried to interfere.  All of Rurre lost power for about 20 minutes!  So there we were, starting the meetings, when the power went out.  No projector, no microphones, no sound, no lights.  Those of us that had flashlights turned them on and we continued to talk and sing acapella until the lights came back on (about 20 minutes later).  Then, service continued as planned and when the pastor made the call at the end, more than 30 came back up tonight!  It’s so awesome to see God working in the lives of these young men and to see the smiles on their faces while we are there.  Very, very rewarding!

After the meetings, we all loaded up on the back of the truck and headed home.  The wind was blowing and it was cold!!  (Not cold by north-eastern U.S. standards, mind you, but cold for the jungle.  About 45 degrees.)  Everyone huddled up together and tried to think warm thoughts during the 25 minute ride home.  :)

Now it’s off to bed.  I’m really tired and know that tomorrow will be another long day.  But I wouldn’t have it any other way.  It feels very good to be useful, to share God’s love and to see God at work.  Very humbling and inspiring indeed!  

God bless you all!

Maranatha!


August 28, 2013

Another long, yet wonderful day.  Once again, the alarm clock went off way too early.  But I knew that was coming.  :)  We went through our normal routing...had worship, breakfast and went to school.  Ate lunch and worked in the afternoon.  Then, at 6:00, I was back in town at the base getting ready for the meetings.  Once again, the whole town lost power as soon as the meetings started.  Coincidence?  I think not.  We changed the order of service and started with the seminar.  After about 15 minutes, the lights came back on and we were able to have service without any interruptions.  

It’s the third night of meetings and attendance is still very good (over 70)!.  The soldiers change out for night guard every night, so some are not able to be here.  Every night, we give out a couple of small prizes to the soldiers.  We ask questions based on the previous night’s study or have them recite the memory verse to win the prize.  You should see the hands fly up to answer the questions!  I don’t think I’ve ever seen hands fly up that fast in all of my 9 years of teaching!  lol.  They seem to be really enjoying the meetings.  I know I certainly am.  And it’s been a good experience for the entire family here at Familia Feliz.  Every night, the staff that are not directly involved with the meetings rotate to attend them.  We also bring 4-5 kids a night, dressed in their Pathfinder or Adventurer uniform, and they greet the soldiers as they’re coming in, help pass out papers, as well as help serve refreshments at the end.  It’s been a great opportunity for everyone to be involved.  I think (no, I know) that the “secret” to the success of these meetings has been prayer.  So many people have been praying for these meetings...here in Bolivia, in the U.S. and all over the world.  We’ve received messages on Facebook and in our email accounts about people praying.  Plus, at every meeting, during the entire duration of the meeting, all of the staff are taking turns going outside to pray for the meeting and those in attendance.  There is a constant prayer chain going on at all times.  Prayer is POWERFUL!!  



We made a short video of the previous nights' meetings and posted it on youtube.  If you'd like to see it, you can do so here:




I wish you could see what I have seen so far this week.  I wish you see the looks on these young men’s faces.  The excitement they display when singing the songs and doing the motions that go along with them.  Their intensity when listening to the seminars and sermons...and their comments after the meetings.  I know I’ve said it many times during these last two months, but GOD IS GOOD!!  I praise Him for how He is working, for how He is moving in the lives of these soldiers, as well as in all of our lives.  I can’t wait for tomorrow’s meeting!

God bless!

Maranatha!


August 29, 2013

Okay...I can really get used to days like this.  No, it wasn’t a day off or a slow day.  On the contrary, it was a very busy day, including teaching all morning, working in the garden in the afternoon, then heading to set up for the meetings (may not sound like much in this one sentence, but it definitely kept me busy!).  It was also another late night (although we were home by 10:55 pm which was the earliest I’ve gotten home all week).  But the meetings more than make up for the exhaustion you feel.  

Attendance was less tonight because the soldiers have a big inspection and test tomorrow, so many were working on getting things ready for that event.  But we still had over 50.  God answered prayers and we had no issues with the lights tonight.  Even with the 25 or so normal soldiers missing, the song service was still strong.  Those in attendance made up for the voices of their missing comrades and the dining hall rang with praises to God!  The seminar, Bible study and sermonette was given and, once again, more than 30 came forward at the altar call to give their life to Christ and to have a closer relationship with Him.  And are you ready for this??  Sitting down??  11, so far, have asked to be baptized!!  Amen!!  I remember a couple of years ago, while in Argentina, the pastor told us that 1 out of 20 people with whom you study the Bible will request baptism.  The rest sort of fall by the wayside.  So, based on that statistic, we should only have 3-4 baptismal requests.  But when God’s people pray and the Arm of the All-Powerful is moved, things happen!  Miracles happen!  And the statistics are what is thrown to wayside and 11 ask for baptism!  It doesn’t stop there, more than 20 requested further Bible studies!  Isn’t God good??  And the meetings aren’t over yet.  We still have two more meetings.  One soldier even came up and told us he is getting married next week and wants the pastor to marry them!  Manna moments.  They’re the best!  :)




Then, on the way home, it was another COLD night in the wind in the back of the truck.  But, believe it or not, it’s almost the perfect ending of the day.  We (the staff and kids that went) get to socialize and talk about the events of the evening, share some cookies, sing hymns and huddle close together. We’ve started bringing blankets, hats, gloves, scarfs and jackets, so it’s much more comfy now.  :)

Okay, I’ve gotta end this.  I’m exhausted and ready to collapse into bed (which I will do), but I’ve got a hugh smile on my face.  :)  Thank you all for your prayers!  These results are as much for you as they are for us.  God bless you all!

Maranatha!


August 30, 2013

Today I spent all day in town.  Warren, Sam, Hannah and I came in to do different things today.  I had to make some phone calls, talk with the Minister of Education, go by the doctor, make some copies, and do a little shopping.  My boys, David and Jorge, are in desperate need for some clothes.  So I went to the market and bought some used clothes from the U.S. (many still with Good Will stickers on them :) ).  I got them some every day clothes, a few dress/church shirts and another sheet for their bed.  Yesterday, they told me that they hadn’t slept much during the night because it was so cold and their blankets didn’t keep them warm enough.  So I had Melissa buy them each a new and heavier blanket when she went to town yesterday.  You should have seen their eyes light up when they saw the blankets.  Another warm, fuzzy feeling.  :)  Anyway, by the time I finished everything in town, it was 2:30 pm so I just stayed in town, as I had to be at the army base at 4:00 to meet with the pastors.  We had a prayer session with those soldiers that wanted to have special prayer and the pastors were available for counseling as well.  Thanks to some donations that have been sent to me, we were able to get a Bible for each soldier at the base!  They will be presented with the Bibles tomorrow.  I think there were only two soldiers that had their own Bibles and the others have asked for some because they want to read them and to learn their memory verses.  God is Awesome and we know have 90 brand new Bibles to distribute!  We also had the kids at Familia Feliz make a personalized bookmark for every soldier, with a Bible verse and a drawing and/or encouraging message from the child.  I can’t wait to see the faces of the soldiers when they receive them tomorrow! 

Well, gotta run.  Almost time for the meeting.  I’ll tell you all about it tomorrow.  God bless and happy Sabbath!

Maranatha!


August 31, 2013

What a WONDERFUL and BLESSED day!!  Another high Sabbath indeed!  Last night we had the last evening of meetings at the base. We got home almost at midnight but had such a blessed experience. The service went very well. I mentioned in my blog yesterday my amazement at God's blessings in moving in the hearts of 11 soldiers who decided to be baptized on Thursday night. Well, last night and today, The Lord really blew me away!  When the call was made last night for baptism, not only did those 11 come forward that had previously made the decision, but 17 more joined them up front!!  That's 28 in total!  Did you read that??  28!  That's just under half of all the soldiers that attended the meetings!  Is God amazing or what??!!  We broke up into small prayer groups with the soldiers and spent some time praying with each other and getting to know one another. Then we ate the refreshments in our little groups. It was very nice!  And we made many new friends. Really a wonderful experience. But the icing on the cake was seeing these 28 individuals baptized this morning!!  We made a baptistery out of a table turned upside down, boarded on the sides and a piece of plastic inside to hold the water. The deaconesses decorated it beautifully with cloth and flowers. We had a very special service, very reverent and memorable. All of the children and staff from Familia Feliz had special music. The soldiers really liked that. Then we all had potluck together...all 200 of us!  :). It was a great fellowship meal. 

Me and baby Crystal on the ride into town.


Some of our new friends!  





One of my "sons" here...meet the infamous Jorge!  :)


In the afternoon, all of us went marching through the town with posters against bullying and abuse. We marched to the town meeting hall and then had a seminar on abuse for the community. Then, we returned to the base, marching. The army's marching band accompanied us. People in town started taking pictures, filming us and many even joined in our march. 

Sam dressed as a dog, getting ready for the little parade.

Me with the army's marching band members before the march.

Starting out on the parade to town.

Marching band leading the way for our Pathfinders.

Yours truly as a "Caricature kid" during part of the parade.  :)

My two boys, David and Jorge, at the seminar downtown.

I'm sure you need no introduction here...but just in case,
Vilissa, Nickisha, Me, Wanetta and one of our new soldier friends
posing for pictures after the seminar.  :)

Baby Crystal and I in the park before marching back to the base.

Warren is carrying Charlie and I am carrying Gracie, marching back 
through town to the army base.


Once back at the base, we had AY with the church member and soldiers. They didn't want to leave, not even for supper. :). After AY, we had a special service and have each and every soldier a new Bible, along with a handmade bookmark made by our kids. Thy loved it!  And what made it even special for me was that I had the privilege of giving each their Bible!  I was honored. 


Some pics of some of the soldier receiving their Bibles.  I have pics of all of them but here are a handful for you to see.



Everyone who received Bibles that night.  There are more that
will receive them, but some were away on a field assignment and
others were on guard that night.


Finally, we ended the night with group games and pictures. I really think it would be hard to top this day!  God is Amazing and deserves all the honor and glory!  There was joy in heaven today!  And there was joy on Earth as we shared this very special Sabbath day with our army friends!

God bless each of you!

Maranatha!



September 1, 2013

Today was my Sunday to stay on campus and watch the kids.  Starting this month, all of the staff are divided up into three teams.  One team stays on campus every Sunday and is in charge of the children while the other two teams have the day off and go into town if they would like.  We rotate Sundays and on the 4th Sunday of the month, we’re going to start taking all the kids in town (all of those that have behaved) so that they can get off campus too.  This way, each staff has three Sundays off/in town a month.  So today was my day to stay at Familia Feliz since I’m on team 1.  

It was a pretty laid back day.  I was planning on sleeping in this morning since I didn’t get to bed until after 1:00 am last night after our day with the soldiers.  But Vilissa left today to go to Santa Cruz to process her residency visa and she had put something of her in my book bag yesterday, so she came over at 6:30 am to get it before leaving.  After that, I couldn’t go back to sleep.  (I know, I know...if you knew me when I was young, you know that I could sleep at anytime and anywhere.  But I guess growing up changes that...:( ).  So I got up and started my “To Do” list.

The kids did what they were supposed to do and we didn’t have any major discipline problem.  Three boys did have to work because they had not turned in some school work or because they had misbehaved several times during the week...but they did their assigned jobs without any problems and everyone had the whole afternoon off.  They went to the creek, played soccer and just hung out.  About 4:30, we played volleyball on the newly installed volleyball “court”.  The net was just put up on Friday, so we really hadn’t had a chance to break it in...until today.  We had a great time!!  I played 3 games with the kids and a few other staff members, then Hannah, Chris and I went for a run.  Boy, could I tell that I hadn’t been running in 3 weeks!  My legs and lungs weren’t the happiest of campers with me, but they pulled through.  :)

We then had supper and hung out a bit more before getting the boys ready for bed.  After this, I stayed talking to Wanatta for a while.  We had a good conversation and talked about different Bible verses and promises, each of us shared our hope in Christ’s soon return.  She asked for some advice on some situations she’s going through and, after prayer, I gave her some.  We closed our talk with prayer and said good night.  It was a good talk.  It’s so interesting to see God working in everyone’s life.

Well, it’s time for lights out.  I had planned on getting to bed earlier tonight since I got up so early this morning (after another late night)...but you know the saying, “We plan.  God laughs.”  :)  Talk to you tomorrow.  God bless!

Maranatha

September 2, 2013

Today was a pretty good day.  Had worship with the boys, got breakfast and taught classes.  The students have end of trimester exams this week, so we’re preparing for that.  After class, we had lunch.  Warren had gone to town this morning and got back just at lunch time with some disturbing news. Vilissa had made it safely to Santa Cruz, but was robbed while getting her luggage off the bus when she got there.  :(  Someone just pick-pocketed her billfold out of her purse.  The good news (and blessing) was that she was not hurt or in danger at all.  (Praise God!!  Everything else can be replaced...your health and life cannot.)  The bad news is they took the $500 USD she had for her visa fees, fine and traveling money.  :(  Needless to say, she was very upset and we were all concerned.  But God knows all and sees all...and always comes through, so we’ve trusted in Him.  Jodi and I went to town this afternoon to deposit some money into another missionary’s bank account that lives there in Santa Cruz so that Vilissa can get her paperwork done for her visa.  We’ll see about getting the rest to her this week.  She was very relieved to receive the money.  She still feels very bad about what happened, even though we know that it wasn’t her fault (and she knows that too....she just feels bad).  The system was out at the bank this morning evidently, so it was packed full when I got there this afternoon.  I had to wait 2 hours for my number to be called to make the deposit!  But we were able to get it all done, thank the Lord. We then made copies of the exams for this week and got some supper.

When we got back home, I had worship with David and Jorge.  Warren watched them while I was gone and said they behaved very well.  I’m just going to interject this here now...I’m so very proud of how both of them have behaved this week and really step-up to the plate as far as getting things done, being obedient, getting along, etc.  Especially David.  I mean, I’m really proud because it certainly wasn’t like this before.  Warren and I are planning on taking my two boys and his three boys out to supper one night this week...sort of a “guys night out”.  I can’t wait!

Warren is supposed to be leaving to Guyana this week as well.  He’ll be gone two months.  We’re really going to feel his absence.  And that means all of us will have to pick up the slack.  But please keep him in your prayers as he travels.  Also, keep one of our mission schools in Guyana in your prayers.  The government, from what I understand, is trying to close it and take the land and buildings.  So Warren has to meet with this as soon as he gets there to try to fix things.  Satan is attacking, but we know that God is stronger!  Thanks for your prayers.

Well, tonight I really am going to bed earlier!  :)  It’s 9:29 pm and I’m about to sign-off from my blog writing and head to bed.  Night-night and God bless!

Maranatha!


September 3, 2013

The second trimester ends for school this week, so today we began their “end of the trimester” exams.  I gave the Language test to my 5-8th grade classes.  Tomorrow I’ll give the Math test to 7-8th grade and the Language test to 4th grade.  

This morning we had a little situation come up at school.  A mother came and dropped her little girl (about 4 years old) off with her sister, who is a student here in the 4th grade.  She was going to town and her husband was out of town, so I guess she just figured we would babysit the girl.  However, she didn’t talk to anyone here about leaving her.  I just saw this little girl running from classroom to classroom and playing outside.  I went to find the mother (since I saw the mom here earlier talking to one of the other teachers) and that’s when I found out that she had just left the little girl.  I went and let Jodi know and we ended up sending the little girl and her older sister home with a note to the mother, letting her know that we cannot be responsible for a child that isn’t a student here.  If anything were to happen to that little girl, we would be legally responsible since she was on our campus.  Once I got that situation taken care of, I went back to teaching my students.  

After lunch, while the kids were working, I spent  most of the afternoon grading tests, since we have to turn in final grades to the Minister of Education on Monday.  It was a VERY hot and humid afternoon!  It hasn’t been this hot in a long time, since we had that cold spell.  The kids were hot and sweaty after working, so most of them went for a swim in the creek...and they deserved it!

I thought I post a few pics of precious little Janet so you can see her since coming home from the hospital.  She is doing GREAT!  She is gaining weight, gaining muscle strength and making all of her little "happy" sounds again.  :)  It is music to our ears!


This is the same little girl that was at death's door just a month ago and couldn't even hold her head up.  Now she is sitting and standing, feeding herself and playing again.  THANK YOU all again for your prayers!  God is indeed GOOD!


After grading papers, I spent about an hour tutoring 4 girls in math, in preparation for their test tomorrow.  Then we played a few games of volleyball.  Next, we had supper.  And then...after supper, something wonderful happened!  I had nothing else to do!!  :)  That hasn’t happened too many times since I’ve been here.  My boys and I had a nice, long worship service.  Then, I got them off to bed.  I had my personal devotion and now I’m going to bed...and it’s not even 9:30!  :)  What a blessing!  Talk to y’all tomorrow! 

God bless!

Maranatha!


September 4, 2013

I had a nice and restful night’s sleep last night!  I had forgotten what it felt like to get more than 7 hours sleep at night.  :)   Today, I gave the Math test to my 7th-8th graders.  A lot of them are behind and struggle with basic math (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division).  I guess since my subject area has always been language and math was always pretty easy for me, I never really appreciated being to do these simple applications.  But now, having to try to come up with different ways to explain subtraction and division to these 13-15 year-olds, I have a new appreciation for my former math teachers and no longer take it all for granted!  :)  Plus, it is helping me to be more patient.  I also gave the language test to my 4th graders.  

After school, we had lunch as is our routine.  It was another very hot day, so the work day was shortened.   I graded more papers and then met with the staff to talk about different things.  We then played some volleyball with the kids.  We are really enjoying having this volleyball net up!  :)

I did have a little “medical missionary” experience this afternoon.  Warren called me over to Melissa’s house this afternoon.  Little Melissa, a four-year old that lives with “big” Melissa for the time being, was sitting in a tub outside, crying.  Melissa and Warren pointed to the back of her head and I immediately knew the cause of her pain.  Evidently, she had lice and had been scratching her head, which caused a scab to form.  Well, a fly or mosquito had laid eggs in that open scab and now, there was a hole in the back of her head about the size of a dime.  In that whole was infection, as well as little larvae/worms that had hatched from the eggs!  Sam and Warren got queasy by looking at it and Melissa trying to pick the worms out with tweezers.  We weren’t able to get all of the them out, however, because they would retract back into the hole.  So we treated her head with essential oils, antibiotics and medicines and made sure to keep the opening covered with medicinal creams, etc. so that no other bug got in there again.  I felt so bad for my little Melissa.  She is always so happy and loves hugs more than any child here on campus I believe.  But she was miserable during all of this and soon afterwards, cried herself to sleep.  

After supper, we had worship.  On the way to worship, little Melissa met me outside her house, crying.  She had woken up and no one was in the room with her and she was scared.  So she tightly held my hand and walked with me to church.  She then sat as close to me as she could without being in my lap.  

Oriel was in charge of the program/sermon tonight.  He asked me to translate for him.  He was a bit nervous because he isn’t very talkative, especially in front of people.  But he did an outstanding job and delivered a very well-thought out devotional thought about Peter’s miraculous release from prison and Rhoda’s part in it...how she was only mentioned in the Bible because she was at “prayer meeting” (the brethren had met to pray about Peter’s imprisonment and imminent death).  He tied that into the question of how many times has God wanted to use us as His instruments, but we failed to be at His meetings (church meetings, prayer meetings, etc.) and about His business.  It was a very good thought and one that I hadn’t contemplated before.  

After worship, I went back to the house with my boys and got them ready for bed.  Now, it’s my turn.  :)  God bless you all.  More updates tomorrow.  

Maranatha!


September 5, 2013

Today was a busy, yet fun-filled day.  It was the last day of testing, so students were released early from school once they had finished all their tests.  That gave me the time in the morning that I needed to finish grading all of the tests that hadn’t been graded.  I finished just before lunch.  

After lunch, we had a teacher meeting to discuss grades, student learning, behavior and the upcoming parent meeting (Monday) to issue term grades.  That meeting went very well.  Immediately after that meeting, we had a general staff meeting to discuss Warren’s upcoming departure and to delegate responsibilities, etc.  Warren will be leaving this Sunday from Familia Feliz and will be gone for 2 months.  So, as you can imagine, there was a lot to talk about.  That meeting wrapped up about 3:30 I believe.  We got a lot accomplished.  

After the meetings, Wanetta, Nickisha, Hannah, Ori and I went to pick oranges and coconuts.  We got 500 oranges, 35 coconuts and a bagful of fresh tamarinds to take back home.  We also ate as many oranges and fresh tamarinds as we wanted while we were picking, as well as the 7 coconuts that busted upon falling to the ground.  :)  I was one very happy camper!  :)  

But the fun didn’t stop there.  Today is Samuel’s birthday.  He’s 20 today.  We planned a little surprise dinner for him, so every one has ignored his birthday all day.  He brought it up several times and we all wished him a happy birthday, but sort of brushed it off and didn’t do anything special.  All of the male staff, however, were planning to take him to dinner in town and have a “guys night out” kind of.  Warren had to go into town and asked Sam to go along with him to help him with something.  They left on the motorcycle while we were picking fruit.  We got back, Ori and I took showers, got dressed and all of the guys piled in the truck and headed to town.  We all pulled up to where Warren and Sam were and Sam really didn’t understand what was going on.  It took him about 2 minutes to figure things out, even with our telling him what we were doing.  He was very, very surprised and happy!  :)  We had a very nice dinner together.  I had a salad and pasta pesto that was absolutely delicious!  Dessert was fruit salad.  But even better than the food was the fellowship.  I am truly blessed to work with such a great group of guys!  At the end of dinner, Warren surprised us all by paying for all of our food!!  That was a very nice treat and we really appreciated it.

Before heading back home, we stopped for a tamarind juice.  I mean, a party wouldn’t be a party without fresh, cold tamarind juice, right?!  :)  We then headed back home, enjoying the cool wind as we rode in the back of the truck.  It’s been a very good day!

God bless!

Maranatha!


September 6, 2013

Today I spent most of the day in town.  After breakfast, Warren, Ori, Chris, Jodi and I came to town.  Warren, Ori and I got our yellow fever vaccine today.  It was free in town and Warren and Ori will need it when they travel through Brazil to Guyana.  (Ori isn’t going now with Warren, but whenever he does go back home, he’ll have to have it.)  And Warren said I may need to travel to Brazil in the future for GMI so I should go ahead and get my Brazilian visa too.  And Brazil requires you to get the vaccine again every ten years...and it’s been more than 10 years since my last yellow fever vaccine, so all three of us got stuck this morning.  

After our immunizations, Jodi and I went to talk to the Minister of Education about grades and some policies that we needed clarification on.  Then, we spent the day running errands, using internet, making calls, etc.  Everyone else went back home in the mid-afternoon.  I’m staying all day because I have to give the Bible study at the army base tonight at 6:00.  I’ll be coming every week to continue studying with them.  I’m really excited about that!  Since we were at the base every day last week, for several hours, it feels like it’s been a very long time since I’ve seen our friends there.  So I’m looking forward to seeing them again and fellowshipping with them.  I’ll let you know how that goes in tomorrow’s post.  For now, I’m signing off.  Gotta get a few more things done before heading to the base.  Also gotta plan my sermon for tomorrow, since it’s my turn to preach again.

God bless you all and Happy Sabbath!

Maranatha!

No comments:

Post a Comment